Fire that destroyed Alto mobile home possibly heating-related

The source of the fire may have been a space heater that was plugged into a power strip – not a good idea, according to the experts. Space Heater Safety Tips – Electrical Safety Foundation (


“A possible home heating fire destroyed the home of an elderly woman at 425 Harrison Trail near Alto Monday morning.

Habersham County E-911 dispatchers received a call from a neighbor at 7:35 a.m. Monday reporting the fire.

The caller reported seeing flames and said smoke was coming from the house.

Command on scene requested at 8:22 a.m. that Cornelia Fire Department respond for manpower.

An investigator from Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner John F. King’s Fire Investigations Unit responded to the scene.

The fire’s cause is listed as undetermined.

A space heater in the home was plugged into a power strip at the time the fire started and cannot be eliminated as a possible source.

The female resident and one dog escaped the fire, and the American Red Cross was contacted to assist her with immediate needs.

The 30-year-old, single-wide mobile home was destroyed, and the fire claimed the lives of at least two dogs.

Units remained on scene until 11:25 a.m.”