HALL CO. SHERIFF’S OFFICE NARRATIVE:
“Six inmates at the Hall County Jail face misdemeanor charges following a fight in a cell pod early Wednesday morning, Oct. 4, 2023.
Based on the initial investigation, two of the inmates, Daronte Marquiz Ellis, 30, of Athens and Michael Serrato-Macedo, 17, of Gainesville, had been involved in an ongoing verbal argument, including the exchange of racial slurs, throughout the day on Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2023. Ellis and Serrato-Macedo agreed to have a physical fight after lights out. The planned fight between the two began around 12:50 a.m. Wednesday. The other four inmates joined the brief altercation, punching and kicking Ellis.
A jail officer found Ellis moments after the altercation, suffering from a black and swollen eye.
The inmates involved in the affray were identified by surveillance video at the jail. All were separated and housed in other pods. Ellis was housed in the medical unit for observation. The investigation into the altercation continues and further charges are possible, according to Command Staff at the jail.
The inmates involved in the incident are listed below:
· Daronte Marquiz Ellis, 30, Athens – affray
· Michael Serrato-Macedo, 17, Gainesville – affray
· Justin Velasco, 18, Flowery Branch – affray
· Deopoldo Patricio Villalobos, 28, Gainesville – affray
· Roberto Carlos Angeles-Avila, 25, Gainesville – affray
· Carlos Alberto Onate-Garcia, 35, Gainesville – disorderly conduct”