Mercer University’s Center for Collaborative Journalism has been named for alumnus J. Reginald (Reg) Murphy in recognition of his contributions to the journalism profession and his alma mater.
A native of Gainesville, Murphy began his journalism career while an undergraduate student at Mercer in the 1950s, covering local news, sports and the state capitol for the Macon Telegraph. He went on to serve as a reporter for, and then editor of, the Atlanta Constitution. In 1959 he was chosen as a Nieman Fellow at Harvard University.
Murphy later served as editor and publisher of the San Francisco Examiner and publisher and CEO of the Baltimore Sun. From 1996 to 1998, Murphy was president and CEO of the National Geographic Society.
According to a Mercer news release, Murphy and his wife, Diana, have been loyal supporters of several areas of the University, including the Mercer Athletic Foundation, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and Mercer University Press.
(Pictured: Murphy, right, with Mercer President William D. Underwood)